Monday, August 20, 2007

Nisasta Kurabiyesi (Starch Cookies)


I made these cookies for the foodie blog event between Turkish food bloggers. These cookies have a funny story. I ate these cookie in my sister's house. Every summer, my sister cooks these cookies and we eat them during the tea-cookie time (5pm is the traditional tea-cookie time in Turkey :) ). Then, when our friend announced the May's event as a cookie event, these starch cookies are the only ones that I wanted to cook.

Thanks God, I cook them like my sister. Both the appearance and the taste are exactly the same. I don't know the name of the cookies so I just entitled it as starch cookies. After I posted the recipe, my aunt called me and told me the real name of these cookies: wife silencer or mother in law silencer :)))) The reason is that if you try to eat these cookies alone, without coffee or tea or anything liquid, you might be choked because of the starch. You know the contention between the bride and the mother in law is classic in almost every culture. So, the brides that want their mother in laws to be shut up, they can cook these cookies and serve them without any drink :) Of course it is just a small joke, but who knows may be one day you need something like that, huh?

Ingredients:
2 sticks unsweetened butter
1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
2 eggs
1 1/2 all purpose flour
1 package of baking powder
3-4 cups corn starch

Method:

1. Butter should be at room temperature, so take them out of the refrigerator at least 1/2 hours before starting. Mix butter and powdered sugar in a large bowl.

2. Break the eggs into butter-sugar mixture and mix them.

3. Add flour and baking powder, and mix.

4. First add 2 cups of starch. Then add 1/2 cups each time until you get a cookie dough that is not sticky. To understand if the starch is enough, take a small pieces of dough into your hand. If dough does not stick to your hand, it means your dough is ready.

5. Take small pieces into your hand at a size of golf ball. Roll up between the palms of your hands and make balls.

6. Lay baking sheets and put the balls onto the sheet.

7. Cook them in the preheated oven (330F) until their surface become pink.

8. Serve them cool with a coffee or tea. Don't forget the drink, otherwise you couldn't be able to swallow even a bite :)

Enjoy!